For ICC participants who have completed the course, here are some additional resources to support your ongoing learning. The IRG privileges Indigenous authors and sources whenever possible, and proven allies to strengthen the message.
- Culturally respectful terms, by Northern Health BC
- The Inuit Way: a guide to Inuit culture, by Paktuitit
- The virtual museum of Métis history and culture, by the Gabriel Dumont Institute of Native Studies and Applied Research
- Indigenous People's Atlas of Canada, by Canadian Geographic. Available in book format, online, and Google Play app.
- Original place names in Google Earth.
- Indigenous land names for land acknowledgements
Hidden History of Canada
- Inuit history and heritage, by ITK
- Canada’s dark side: Indigenous peoples and the 150 celebrations. In Origins Current Events in Historical Perspective.
- They came for the children, 2013 pdf by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission
- Kahnesatake: 270 years of resistance, 1993 movie by Alanis Obomsawin.
- Rocks at Whiskey Trench, 2000 movie by Alanis Obomsawin
- Clearing the plains, 2013 book by James Sashuk 2013
- Separate beds: history of Indian hospitals in Canada, 2016 book by Maureen K. Lux
- National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation
- The Story of a National Crime: Peter Bryce about TB in residential schools, by the First Nations Child & Caring Society of Canada
Intergenerational Trauma and Healing
- Understanding inter-generational trauma and how to stop it, by APTN InFocus (video)
- Trauma-informed toolkit, by Manitoba Trauma Information and Education Centre
- Decolonizing trauma work, 2014 book by Renee Linklater
- Indigenous knowledge systems, Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit, by Government of Nunavut
- Cultural safety, respect and dignity in relationships (video and posters), by Northern Health Region BC
- Decolonizing education: nourishing the learning spirit, 2013 book by Marie Battiste
The Ally and Challenging Racism
- Seven Fallen Feathers: racism, death and hard truths in a northern city, 2017 book by Tanya Talaga
- Dying from Improvement: inquests and inquiries into Indigenous deaths in custody, 2015 book by Sherene H. Razack
- Debunking the most common myths white people tell about race, video by Robin DiAngelo on NBC news
- Aboriginal experiences with racism and its impacts, 2014 factsheet by the National Collaborating Centre on Indigenous Health
- First Contact, tv series
- How to change systemic racism in Canada, video by Cindy Blackstock for TVO Docs
- Shelagh Rogers on bearing witness to the transformative testimonies of residential School, 2017 video at SFU - messages on how to be ally in Canada
The Way Forward
- Cultivating Canada: reconciliation through the lens of cultural diversity, 2011 book by the Aboriginal Healing Foundation
- All our Relations: finding the path forward, 2018 book by Tanya Talaga
- 2018 Massey Lectures (videos) on All our Relations by Tanya Talaga
- Reconciling and dehumanizing Indigenous-Settler relations, 2015 book by Nadia Ferrara
- Reconciliation what does it mean, video by Health Canada
- Reconciliation: the truth is hard, reconciliation will be harder. 2017 keynote by Senator Murray Sinclair at the Policy Alternatives conference
Rights and Reconciliation
Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples full document - one of the few places you'll find RCAP in its original form.
- V1 Looking Forward Looking Back
- V3 Health and healing
- V4 Perspectives and realities
- V5 Renewal a 20 year commitment
Truth and Reconciliation Commission
Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls
And a good overview of the laws to restrict Indigenous rights by UBC Indigenous Arts.